Ok, we all learned how to do laundry one way or another but here are the basics to keep your sports gear in tip top shape.
HOW TO DO BETTER LAUNDRY:
- Step 1. Activewear needs to dry completely all the time. Do not put good women's athletic apparel in the laundry bin! Find some hooks or a drying rack and hang it up until you can wash it, this will inhibit 90% of bacteria growth.
- Step 2. Performance fabrics need to be washed in cold water on the delicate cycle only. If you want to keep your yoga clothes stretching and recovering, golf dresses moisture wicking, and cute tennis outfits UPF rated...keep them out of hot water & dryers.
- Step 3. LAY FLAT or hang to dry...any questions see above.
- Step 4. If you must use an iron, go for synthetic fabric setting or you will melt your shirt.
TIPS FROM THE LAUNDRY PROs:
- Zip the zippers to prevent snags
- Turn clothes inside out to protect the colors & prints
I know it's a pain all that sorting and hanging but I have exciting news!
YOU GET BONUS POINTS:
- You've made your clothing last longer, less waste in a landfill
- You've kept microplastics out of the water with your delicate cycle
- You're using less energy skipping the dryer
- You can eat more! well, or at least you didn't shrink anything ;)
Looking for further reading? Check out this article....